Friday, January 16, 2009

Daniel "Danny" J. Gokey

Season 8 of American Idol kicked off Tuesday night, and much to my delight, there were quite a few "freaks" on the show. I know it's horrible to take delight in how these people are oblivious to the fact that they can't sing, but I am only human.

Wednesday night offered a few more sad, unfortunate individuals, but there was a truly unique, talented person who caught my eye. Daniel J. Gokey, a 28 year old music teacher from Wisconsin. What made his story so touching was the fact that his wife Sophia had passed away 4 weeks before his audition. To know that he had the strength to keep living his life and pursue his dreams despite such a devastating loss was and is truly inspiring. Oh, and did I mention he looks like Robert Downey Jr.? That just upped his coolness right there. That, and the fact that he can really sing!

So, from the start, I'm rooting for Danny. I know some would say it's early to pick a favorite, but I'm gonna stick with my gut feeling on this one. I hope you all get a chance to watch, and that you too see the talent in this young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment