Friday, October 8, 2010

Where does time go?

As a child, I thought my days were long. During the summer, I'd spend lazy days playing outside for hours, whether it be laying in a field, feeling the summer breeze tickle my skin, or trapsing through the woods, showing no fear of what might be lurking behind the pines. I'd stare out the window on school days, day-dreaming about what I would be like as an adult. I recall wondering how people began dating, how they started conversations that led to relationships. During winter break, my days were filled with watching endless hours of t.v., and helping Mama make homemade ornaments or her yummy fudge.
The days seemed long, as did the nights. Time seemed to go on forever. I remember when 5 minutes felt like a lifetime, and the antipation of Christmas that began at Thanksgiving dinner seemed to never end. Waiting for the last week of school to conclude was like waiting for a rainstorm in a desert drought. As a child, life was all about waiting.

I'm 30 now, and boy has life changed. Now that I'm a mother, a full-time worker and full-time student, I no longer know what breaks are. They seem to be thouse things I get while bathing, until someone barges in to ask a random question, or to hand me the phone for a conversation that could have waiting 10 more minutes. My days are no longer care-free, though from the time I leave my house for work, and get back home at the end of the day now seems longer than it used to. I guess that's the only part that does seem long.

Time flys by, more so now than it did. I believe the older I get, the shorter my days will seem. I don't know if there comes a point in time when it all slows down again, but I'd embrace it. Looking at my 10 year old daughter, who went from birth to 10 rather quickly, I might add, I'd embrace time slowing down now, before she grows up and no longer has time for her mama. I guess the bottom line is, I want my life to slow down enough for me to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment